Someone asked me what we’ve accomplished over the last two years. The list is pretty extensive. I’ll post about individual bills that are off the radar, but still significant. In the meanwhile, here are some big picture highlights:
- Economy and Jobs: Our labor force is at its largest point ever with nearly 10,000 more people working today than at any time since the start of the recession in 2008. The legislature passed 80 bills reducing business and consumer regulatory burdens, creating a more business friendly atmosphere and helping businesses create jobs.
- State Budget: Passed a budget 11% smaller than the prior budget, reducing spending by over $1.2 billion and general fund spending by $536 million, or 18% without raising taxes or fees.
- Education Funding: Passed an education funding formula that maintains existing levels of aid to communities and allows additional targeted aid to needy cities and towns.
- High Taxes: Eliminated or repealed numerous taxes and fees that were increased or enacted by the previous Democratic majority.
- Quality of Education: Established an education credit to be used by students to defray the educational expenses of attending an independent school, increasing competition in education and allowing students to pursue educational opportunities that may have been otherwise unavailable