September is Suicide Prevention Month
VA encourages supporters to Be There for Veterans, connect with resources
MANCHESTER, N.H. – September is Suicide Prevention Month and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) wants to remind Veterans and their loved ones through the Be There campaign that small actions can make a big difference to Veterans experiencing difficult times.
During this and every month the VA Manchester Healthcare System remains committed to spreading awareness of suicide prevention to Veterans and their supporters and connecting them to the resources they need.
“Checking in with someone can make all the difference when they are silently struggling. We are asking for you to join us in doing that and we are providing the tools to help you,” said Kevin Forrest, director, VA Manchester Healthcare System.
Be There suggests several simple actions that can help make a difference for a Veteran to include:
- Learning about the warning signs of suicide, found on the Veterans Crisis Line website.
- Watching the free S.A.V.E. training video to learn how to respond with care and compassion if someone indicates they are having thoughts of suicide.
- Contacting VA’s Coaching Into Care program where a licensed psychologist or social worker will provide loved ones with guidance for motivating Veterans to seek support.
- Sharing stories of hope and recovery from VA’s Make the Connection.
- Reaching out to the Veterans in your life to show them you care by sending a check-in text, cook them dinner or simply asking, “How are you?”
For more information and resources visit BeThereForVeterans.com.
If you or someone you know is having thoughts of suicide, contact the Veterans Crisis Line to receive free, confidential support and crisis intervention available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, text to 838255, or chat online at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.
Kristin Pressly, Public Affairs Officer
Office of the Director
VA Manchester Healthcare System
6th Floor Rm E607, Routing Number 00
718 Smyth Road
Manchester, NH 03104
Office Hours: 7:00am – 3:30pm
Desk: (603)624-4366 x 6779 Mobile: (603)722-9527